Social problems are conditions that are considered by the majority in the community to disrupt society. Sociology refers to the study of society, relationship patterns, social interaction, and everyday culture of individuals. Social problems can be classified in the following categories, socio-cultural problems such as drug addiction, child abuse, ethnicity, and communalism. Economic problems include unemployment and poverty. Legal problems include terrorism, violence, theft, and crime.
Some top social problems in sociology today
Each day social problems are getting worst and worst and they are problems that were never encountered some years back.
- Alcoholism- It is an addiction that involves excessive consumption of alcohol. Individuals suffering from alcoholism have common characteristics such as they cannot control their alcohol consumption following persistent attempts to quit it. Also, individuals who are alcoholics have a strong desire to use alcohol all the time before they work on any given task. Alcoholism can be caused by depression, peer pressure, and personal stress. Moreover, alcoholism has negative impacts such as it leads to crime, violence, health problems, loss of job opportunities, and financial misuse.
- Terrorism – This refers to the use of international violence for political or religious purposes. Terrorism is caused by many reasons such as political reasons, religious reasons, and social-economic reasons. Usually, terrorism has major impacts on the areas affected. It causes numerous deaths where thousands of people lose their lives, it causes permanent disabilities and injuries to the people affected. Also, it causes economic destruction of the country because it destroys developed infrastructures, disrupts transportation, and destroys the existing plantations. Terrorism causes uncertainty in the markets because most of the markets are forced to shut down thus causing the financial decrease. The tourism industries are also affected because most tourists cannot risk traveling to a country with a terror attack.
- Global warming- Global warming is the gradual increase in the atmosphere’s temperature that s mainly caused by human interactions. Other factors that contribute to global warming include deforestation where people cut trees without planting others, the use of chemicals in the agricultural practices, the burning of fossils that pollutes the environment. Besides, the production of cement leads to global warming because it involves chemical reactions such as carbon dioxide that interferes with the atmosphere. However, global warming has major impacts such as a change in the atmosphere which leads to natural calamities such as floods and drought that affect the development of the country. Global warming causes pollution on water, land, and surroundings.
- Child abuse- Child abuse involves children and adolescents participating in activities that affect their health, personal development and that interfere with their schooling. Child abuse is caused by poverty, neglect from parents, rejection from parents, and loss of parents. Child abuse causes mental trauma to children, delays in development, physical injuries, death, and early pregnancies.
- Unemployment- This is the most common social problems that society is currently facing. Unemployment refers to a group of individuals who are employable and seeking job opportunities but are unable to find one. Unemployment is caused by different factors namely, the advancement of technology which has replaced human labor, increased demand for jobs due to the increase of population, corruption in the workplace, and poor economic growth in a country among others. Impacts of unemployment include, it can lead to suicidal thoughts, the high increase in crime, a high rise of poverty and depression.
- Abortion- Abortion is a situation in which a pregnant woman decides to terminate her pregnancy. Some factors cause women to choose abortion and they include, financial instability where the mother oversees difficulties in raising the child. If the mother’s life is in danger an abortion is considered and relationship problems. The major effects of abortion include death, excessive loss of blood, and sometimes damage to the uterus.
If you want a paper written on any of the listed social problem Sociology assignment help will come through for you in hardy. Today’s social problems range from worse to worst and they must be addressed or otherwise, the community might become a harmful and unhealthy space for accommodating the next generation. The society can put strict laws that will help to prevent some of the problems occurring.